Tuesday, November 11, 2008

eyemagazine.com - The Meanings of Type

A few notes on the article “Meanings of Type”:

1. Garamond – I had no idea that this typeface was the standardized type of the French government and used on all official papers. I’ve always appreciated Garamond for it’s aesthetic qualities and legibility – knowing that it was meant to be a “symbol of French enlightenment” gives me a whole new view.

2. Peignot – This in my opinion is one of the most over used typefaces out there (along with Comic Sans). This is one of those typefaces that gets used in applications that it doesn’t make any sense in – Applications where the type isn’t in a bit related to the piece it’s being used in. I know off hand that if I went around town with a camera I could find several examples of places it shouldn’t be used, but my camera is broken, and it’s raining outside. One example that comes to mind is the signage for the Hanley Industrial Court. I've tried Google mapping it but can't get an image that is clear enough for me to be able to tell if it's the same sign that they'd used several years back which utilized Peignot. The use of the typeface as the official type of the World Exhibition in Paris in 1937 is a much more appropriate use.

3. Template Gothic – One of the most commonly used typefaces during the 90's, this type "draws inspiration from Art Nouveau but evokes the present." It seems that a lot of "modern" typefaces that were streamlined and geometrical ended up relying on Humanistic influences to increase legibility and rhythm, but this one was a conscious effort to reject what had come before, and be playful but serious, and imperfect.















Resources:
http://www.eyemagazine.com/feature.php?id=98&fid=485
http://www.wikipedia.org
http://www.emigre.com/EF.php?fid=125

No comments: